These sites will help you learn all you can:
New or Used? You might want to read up about depreciation before you decide. If you decide to get a 5th wheel or travel trailer don't forget to check out tow ratings.
Check the value of used RVs
These groups rate RVs and produce helpful materials:
- RV.org for RV ratings and RVIA provides links to RV manufacturers
- The Recreation Vehicle Industry Association offers a free "Go RVing Video" that answers many questions beginning RVers ask. Information on local dealers and campgrounds is also included at GoRVing
- The Better Business Bureau offers a video called "Buying a Recreational Vehicle" to help in choosing the right RV and the right dealer. Watch it online or order the DVD.
- Woodwalls RV & Family Camping Publications
Search for Used RVs:
- RV Broker will help you buy (or sell) your RV and long time FOTR member
- RV Traders
- Camping WorldRV Search
- RV Sales USA
How do you know how good a price is on a RV especially when searching on eBay?
"Look at prices for similar rv's new or used at rv sale stores. Then go to eBay and start scanning the auctions every night. Do *not* bother looking at anything still up for auction. Click on "advanced search" and click "show completed listings only". Now you can see the actual *sold* price for the type of rv you want. The prices in green sold, and the prices in red ended without selling. You will see far more red than green, as the good buys on eBay are listed among a lot of overpriced dealer listings.
You'll just need to develop a sense for this. We've been watching auctions for about 8 months and have a good idea now of what a "great deal" would be on what we want."
Many traveling families have found that converting a used bus is their best option. Here are some helpful sites:
- Bus Conversion Magazine
- Bus Nuts Online
- Bus Conversions 101
- Bob Sokol shows you how to convert a school bus into a motor home
RV parts and accessories available at JC Whitney
RVs for Families
RV manufacturers who make RVs with floor plans suited to fulltiming families.