You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: “Once you have traveled, the voyage never ends, but is played out over and over again in the quiestest chambers. The mind can never break off from the journey.” - Pat Conroy

Motor Home and Bikes...no car?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Reving Up and Raring To Go -> Getting ReadyMessage format

crunchymom
Posted 2010-04-22 12:03 PM (#3933)
Subject: Motor Home and Bikes...no car?

Does anyone here have the motor home type of RV that you drive (not up on my lingo) and not pull a car? I know it is harder because if you need to drive someplace you have to unhook. Is there anyone who carries bikes instead of a car and bike everywhere they need to go for the most part? For me that sounds like a nice eco-friendly thing to do, if I did not live in the middle of no where I would bike everywhere when the weather was ok.

I am just wondering if this is even feasable?
Top of the page Bottom of the page
crunchymom
Posted 2010-04-22 12:03 PM (#3934 - in reply to #3933)
Subject: Re: Motor Home and Bikes...no car?

Ps...I guess when I see us traveling I see us visiting smaller towns and rural areas not cities with a bunch of traffic.
Collierx6
Posted 2010-04-22 1:04 PM (#3936 - in reply to #3934)

Quite often, families do this, or load a scooter to get around.
I have a Class A Motorhome. Last year in Arizona, I chose to take my stock (to sell) trailer instead of a car to unhook and take to the store. I walked with the kids in town, and my oldest son would ride a bike if we just needed "milk, eggs, bread" . It is possible, as long as you have good weather and I'd say 75% stocked up with the big stuff beforehand.
There was a fun pizza place that did karaeoke 4 nigts a week that we might have gone to more often (the kids just loved to sing and dance) but the walk home at night made it "not the safest thing" to do.
I did lose 7 pounds, got a nice sun tan, and toned up nicely by doing it! Can't complain there!
crunchymom
Posted 2010-04-22 1:13 PM (#3937 - in reply to #3933)

Yeah walking or biking at night probably is not the best idea.

Maybe I just have a very idealic (did I spell that right) vision of what I would want to do on the road and when I picture things it seems like biking would be ideal. Plus well I am kind of a tree huggin' hippie so gotta offset the gas somehow One of the big things I picture in my head is going to stay at and work on organic farms and stuff like that in nice little country areas where biking would be safe. There are also some more touristy places I would like to go as well but I guess we could always use public transportation or get a cab into the main part of town where we could walk around.
Collierx6
Posted 2010-04-22 1:26 PM (#3940 - in reply to #3937)

I know you'll find something!
I've seen "sunflower harvesting" work camping offers in ND. That would be a unique season! There are many "obscure" seasonal work offers. Pumpkin patches, Christmas trees, volunteer tour guides for "Yellowtone" and Grand Canyon etc. out there!
crunchymom
Posted 2010-04-22 2:08 PM (#3941 - in reply to #3933)

YES! I saw the sunflower one as well as some for organic farms. Those are right up my alley I have been to a sunflower farm before and I used to have some gorgeous pictures I took. I am sure it is hard work but at least the view would be nice.
activated
Posted 2010-04-22 7:08 PM (#3948 - in reply to #3933)

Yes, it is feasible, especially if you enjoying biking. Invest in some good rain gear (don't skimp on rain gear), luggage racks and panniers for carrying things. I use my pannier as my laptop case. And with lights and reflectors, riding at night is possible.

Many of the bigger cities have biking lanes and are friendly - the drivers in some small towns think bikers are good for target practice.

Check http://www.railstotrails.org/index.html for some great places to ride. Pedaling.com is also a good site for finding bike routes http://www.pedaling.com/search-rides/ and google maps now has a bike route feature.

We often park the RV and use bikes to explore/run errands. Don't know how old your kids are. Ours was in his teens when we started using bikes for transportation. It is not fair to ask a kid with tiny wheels to keep up.
mommylori
Posted 2010-04-25 6:00 PM (#3994 - in reply to #3933)

we are, I refuse to toad a minivan and with 5 kids no car would work, yep so we are loading everyones bike and dh's motorcycle.lol Cities are easy to bike in plus they have buses and such, I have always lived in the city our buses have bikeracks! ;)
Also right now we drive our class A all over the city, lets be honest it is no bigger than a city bus, or a firetruck and they can get around.lol I do avoid certain area's of course but we have to go through the city everytime we head home then through our super narrow street and back in to our driveway dodging all the cars parked on the street.roflol
The thing is I grew up here so I have learned along time ago who cares about the guy being a jerk next to you he can honk and scream all he wants during a traffic jam you are not going to go anywhere till people infront of you do, even if it means sitting at a light 5 times straight.roflol and I learned than in a teeny tiny car.lol
BUT dh was a EMT and used to driving ambulances all over then before that he was in Iraq as a medic and drove all over, so he can drive anything anywhere.
ali1257
Posted 2010-04-29 11:42 AM (#4045 - in reply to #3994)

We live/work/travel with a carnival in our Class A motor home. We do not have a toad, but do have our two bikes. We do our major grocery shopping and laundromat runs as we move from town to town. No problem not having a toad vehicle.
activated
Posted 2010-04-29 6:56 PM (#4053 - in reply to #3933)

Lori,
Yes, you can drive your RV through cities just don't be surprised if you can't find a parking place. And yes, some buses have bike racks - but not for 5 bikes at once. Again, be prepared. Also be sure to carry good locks when taking your bikes to cities. We locked all three of ours together with 2-3 cables.
mommylori
Posted 2010-04-30 8:20 AM (#4055 - in reply to #4053)

We do already. I live and grew up in the city so we are kind of used to all the craziness of city life. And don't lock through the tires but through the frames. Parking is hard in a van so I completely see your point there, but you could park on the outbanks of the city ride the bus into the city. And if you have a smartphone google maps can tell you walking or with city transportation, which comes in handy, even though I grew up in the city sometimes I get turned around looking for a certain shop.lol So it is always a great thing to get used to using.
raw
Posted 2012-05-28 6:38 AM (#7464 - in reply to #3933)

We have tried that and my opinion is that it truly depends on where you plan to be!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2018 PD9 Software