You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: And that's the wonderful thing about family travel: it provides you with experiences that will remain locked forever in the scar tissue of your mind. Dave Barry

How do you claim a home state?
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Reving Up and Raring To Go -> Getting ReadyMessage format

rachaelkunzler351
Posted 2012-06-25 10:41 AM (#7511)
Subject: How do you claim a home state?

Hi everyone,

A year ago my family (me, husband, kids ages 6,5, and 1) packed up and started living on the road and we love it!! We're in Missouri until November, but we're trying to figure out residency with homeschooling and vehicles. Our vehicles are registered in FL. but the address there is no longer active so we're trying to figure out how to claim a home state. I think we're looking at Texas b/c of the homeschooling regulations but I don't know how to actually do that or what is required.

Guidance would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks,
Rachael
Top of the page Bottom of the page
raw
Posted 2012-06-25 8:26 PM (#7513 - in reply to #7511)
Subject: Re: How do you claim a home state?

I am interested as well! I would like to register the kiddies in a school that doesn't require vaccinations and is alright with us living in a fifth wheel and missing school often for traveling.
Liveit365
Posted 2012-07-11 10:15 PM (#7547 - in reply to #7511)

I know there are organizations that aid in solving this question for people.
One we found was in Florida...

However, we home school, and we own land here in Missouri so we have a different senario...
featherstory
Posted 2012-07-23 2:21 AM (#7576 - in reply to #7511)

I could be wrong raw, but I was just looking at laws regarding missing school across the country and I don't think you'll find a school that is okay with missing lots of school. You could join a homeschool organization in which you log your days or you could go to a private school or hire a tutor that logs days for you which might be flexible on attendance. Also, from what I've been reading, although the schools may say and try to intimidate you as to vaccinations, you are allowed to cite a religious exempt in every state, you may have to get it notarized, but there should be no school requiring your child has vaccinations.
raw
Posted 2012-07-27 10:38 AM (#7588 - in reply to #7547)

Thanks Featherstory! I just can't home school full time anymore, the children need school as much as I need to let them go. I want to get into a resort in sarasota florida and I will not vaccinate. I am trying to get there before school starts on August 20th and I am doing everything in my power to make it happen, if we get there and don't get in, I will be heart broken for sure!
klindauer
Posted 2012-08-08 4:33 PM (#7599 - in reply to #7588)

Hi Rachael! I had thought that Florida also had good homeschool laws and if your vehicles are already registered there do you have a FL drivers license? We are wanting to make FL our home state once we get on the road. I'm anxious about the process also but we do plan on spending a good amount of time in the state to begin with so hopefully we can get everything situated before we venture somewhere else. I had seen the thread on the FL unschoolers and thought that sounded great for a family that moves around alot. I will have one in kindergarten and the rest will be preschool. Good luck and let us know how it goes.
rachaelkunzler351
Posted 2012-08-10 8:01 AM (#7603 - in reply to #7511)

Thanks to everyone for their guidance and suggestions. =D

rachaelkunzler351
Posted 2012-08-10 8:03 AM (#7604 - in reply to #7511)

We've decided to follow Missouri homeschool laws for right now since that is where we've been for a while and where we'll be probably through the winter months. I'm actually thinking about finding a permanent residence here and using it as a base for when we venture out again. We do currently still have Florida licenses and plates, but I think we'll be changing that within a few months.
megaman01
Posted 2012-08-28 8:04 PM (#7623 - in reply to #7604)

My husband and I currently live in Georgia and we are looking at buying a RV here. We are going to make Texas our "home". How should we do this? We are also going to be Road Schooling 3 children ages 6, 8, and 9. For tax purposes, do we go ahead and get our license in Texas first before buying the RV or does it matter? We are looking at a 30' 1995 Coachman Motor Home that has 2900 original miles. Do you think this will be big enough for a family of 5 OTR fulltime? Advice needed please!!!
klindauer
Posted 2012-08-29 11:26 AM (#7625 - in reply to #7511)

We also looked at several motorhomes and class c's. The feedback I got when asking about this was that I wouldn't be happy without a slide (this came from someone who bought w/o slide took one trip and traded in for one with a slide). I have small children 4,3& 1 so for me it is a must which has pushed us to looking at a 5er or TT. Lots of great info on IRV2 website and you'll get lots of response also. You can post in MH forums or travel trailer etc.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2018 PD9 Software