You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: Samuel Johnson "The use of traveling is to regulate imagination by reality, and instead of thinking how things may be, to see them as they are."

Propane tank question
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Home on Wheels -> MechanicalMessage format

bbsis
Posted 2012-02-08 7:09 PM (#7328)
Subject: Propane tank question

I am still working on starting out and have another question. Is it better to get the tanks filled or to swap them out for new ones?? What is the cost difference??
Top of the page Bottom of the page
Seangie
Posted 2012-03-02 8:46 AM (#7368 - in reply to #7328)
Subject: RE: Propane tank question

I would buy brand new tanks. I would buy (2) of the 20lb tanks and have a dual hookup for them. Refills are typically cheaper than swaps. If you keep the 20lb tank size it is easier to move them around but also allow you to "buy" a trade in tank (Like rhino from wal-mart) that could be used in a pinch. this all depends on what you are using your propane for and where you are planning to stay. For example - If you are using it to heat and live in Canada I might consider a larger tank. My suggestion was primarily for cooking.
Collierx6
Posted 2012-03-02 10:20 AM (#7369 - in reply to #7328)
Subject: Re: Propane tank question

We prefer 30 pound tanks, because in colder weather, it gives you an additional few days worth of fuel so you don't have to venture out when it is really bad out. With the 20, we were starting to sweat at the 4 and a half day mark, but with the 20, just like Sangie stated, in a bind, you can go to someplace and swap them out and pay the 23.00 or so. Places such as Home Depot and Menards have a 24 hour swap service, which we have not had to take advantage of, but it is good to know that we could get it in the dead of night.
McDonald
Posted 2012-03-06 3:16 PM (#7374 - in reply to #7328)

I would stick to the 30lb tanks and add a quick disconnect that can serve two purposes. With a regulator lead you can plug up a 25 lb tank to get by in a bind. You can also use a straight lead to hook up a propane grill to the rv supply.
Jess86
Posted 2012-03-13 8:05 PM (#7384 - in reply to #7328)

We have two 30g and one 20g tanks. We use the 20g mainly for grilling and cooking outside. If the big ones runs out we just hook up the small one til we have time to get the big ones refilled. You can switch tanks at home depot, I think a 20g was about 20 bucks. But we try to find cheaper gas prices and right now we have a place that will fill the 20g for about $13.
RVTech_Darren
Posted 2013-10-12 10:36 PM (#7763 - in reply to #7328)

If you are going to rely on the tank swap operators for your Propane needs just be advised that those tanks are only ever filled to ½ full. They do this for safety concerns, or so we are led to believe. If you were to read the fine print on the tank wrapper they may make reference to how full the tank actually is regardless of its capacity.

It is always best to have your tank filled where you pay for the weight of fuel you are buying instead of paying for the size of the cylinder. A propane cylinder is only ever filled 80% full to allow for expansion.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Darren / RV Tech
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software