You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: A ship in harbor is safe -- but that is not what ships are for. John A. Shedd

New roadschooling and could use some help :)
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Home on Wheels -> RoadschoolingMessage format

The Pollicks
Posted 2011-08-18 12:18 PM (#6911)
Subject: New roadschooling and could use some help :)

Hi there.
So we've been on the road for a month now and I want to start the kids after Labor Day so I need to get moving on a school curriculm. A few problems, one my kids have always been in a traditional school setting so I have never homeschooled let alone road schooled before. Second I work 3 days a week and my husband is home with them and I need to find something that he will be able to do with them.
We are doing the museums and parks and stuff for a hands on learning approach but i'm not sure what to do to supplement that. Our daughter is going into 7th grade and our son is going into 4th grade. I want a little structure since we are clueless but we need some flexibility since we live on the road.
Our home state is KY and the rules are very flexible so i'm not to worried about that. Any help is greatly appreciated. And if there is an option that doesn't cost a fortune that would be great. Thanks!
Tina
Top of the page Bottom of the page
joyfull
Posted 2011-08-20 4:23 PM (#6922 - in reply to #6911)
Subject: Re: New roadschooling and could use some help :)

Tina, please feel free to PM me with any questions you have. We have homeschooled for almost 20 years now, 2 of them on the road. We have either used or looked at most of the curriculum that is out their. I would be happy to talk you through what you are looking for & how you want to run your school, be it unschooling to traditional and point you to the resources you may need. There are so many options out there, that it can be overwhelming. I love homeschooling, researching curriculum tools & helping new homeschool/roadschool moms find the personal style that works for both your individual children & for your family.
Mbrwr
Posted 2011-11-09 9:38 AM (#7116 - in reply to #6911)

Hello Tina... We're in the very same boat! We moved from KY to FL last July and we're hitting the road when the kids finish this school year since I don't want to keep my daughter from her 5th grade graduation. Anyway... we have never homeschooled either and the amount of information can be overwhelming. Let me know what you have decided or discovered about homeschool. Best of luck!!!
Marina
SandW
Posted 2013-02-10 11:40 PM (#7718 - in reply to #6911)

We are looking at going FT after May 2013, and would liketo know more about this road schooling. every one of are friends and family say were crazy. but thanks to both of us being on disablity we are losing our house. luckly we found a MH to live in. but need guidance for H.S.ing.
Joy we sent you a PM. Thanks
libranbutterfly
Posted 2013-05-17 11:44 AM (#7734 - in reply to #6911)

Homeschooling is a wonderful journey on its own. I am still in my stick house, but for us, school is lots of nature guides, a small garden, math and handwriting, and lots of reading. I have just about go our school room set up in our downsized house, and have been brainstorming what I will have to change when we downsize into the camper. This was our 1st year homeschooling and we have tried several methods, I am not even sure what parts ar the best anymore.
Keri
Posted 2013-07-28 4:43 PM (#7750 - in reply to #6911)

@ Joy- I can relate! My husband is also Disabled and it also caused us to lose our home. This is what first led us to Roadschooling. Sometimes, life gives you lemons and Yes! Lemonade can be made
@ libranbutterfly- Space is a major issue in campers. It isn't impossible to bring your homeschooling stuff, but make sure you really, really, need them. In the beginning, I used a couple of shelves in the built in TV cupboard we had in our RV.
Quickly that was too full. So, my husband built us a huge book shelf. it is about 4 foot wide and takes up most of one wall, but it now houses all my books, supply's, and even my printer! The best part is it still has tons more places to store things My point is, just weed through and find what you need and build if you have too, something that will work. As far as a Homeschool room. When it comes to Roadschooling, every where is your "school room". My kids do their school at the table, couch, bed, outside, etc
@ The Pollicks ~ I know your post is a bit older. Idk if you have found a curriculum or not, but I figured since there is new postings that may be this will help someone. I am busy myself a few days a week and I can relate to needing something my husband can do. Also, our budget is tight so affordability is key. What we use is Time4Learning. It is online, so my kids can learn independently with little need of our help. So, even my husband can get them started, when I am not home. IMO, I think it is affordable. For my oldest, who will be in High School this coming school year, she is doing their new High School courses; which is $30 a month. My youngest is still little. So, his grade level is only $14.95 Anyways, something to check out. HTH
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2020 PD9 Software