You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

Random quote: He who would travel happily must travel light. Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Florida homeschool, great option
Moderators: Moderators

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
View previous thread :: View next thread
   Home on Wheels -> RoadschoolingMessage format

margielundy
Posted 2011-04-16 4:09 PM (#6458)
Subject: Florida homeschool, great option

We've just changed our residency to Florida and used a great private umbrella school. There is NO charge! And you simply report attendance online quarterly. As we learn 365 days a year, I'll just be reporting the state minimum (180 days). They have an online option for classes for middle-school as well, if you want to do more.
http://www.freewebs.com/floridaunschoolers/

I looked at many options and they were expensive, every year, and much more complicated. This is a one time enrollment, no fees, done. It's a great service by a homeschooling mom and I had to recommend it if you're considering FL as a home state. We'd just chosen TX with their no homeschool laws, BUT we'll be in FL each year and my parents are there, (plus the FOTR rally!!) so I figured it'd be easier for licenses and registrations and such.
Top of the page Bottom of the page
margielundy
Posted 2011-04-16 4:17 PM (#6459 - in reply to #6458)
Subject: Re: Florida homeschool, great option

Also, fyi, SO much easier for unschoolers! Ohio required an assessment (how do you assess life learning on paper?!), so I'm looking forward to not fretting about that anymore.
joyfull
Posted 2011-05-02 7:39 PM (#6578 - in reply to #6458)

Thanks so much for this resource Margie. We are currently CA residents, andprobably will be for the remainder of the year; however this may be the determining factor of our future residency. I looked up the freewebs.com to see what they offer in terms of digital classes for Florida Homeschoolers & was thrilled. They have classes for middle school & High School. This may end up being an inexpensive alternative to some of my kids upper level courses.

Another great online resource for the digital classroom can be found at www.hoagiesgifted.org ... the site is intended for "gifted" students, but goes on to say that all students are "gifted" in some area, and all "gifted" students are in some way "homeschooled". They have more links than I could ever follow. You can even audit classes in elite universities.

As my kids get older, and their learning becomes more advanced (ok, passes me up) I am leaning towards online alternatives to either be the core outline for a class or to supplement something I feel more confident in teaching. I just love the options available to todays homeschoolers!
tmcrv
Posted 2011-08-18 10:32 AM (#6908 - in reply to #6458)

Margie,
Thank you for posting this info about homeschooling in Florida. It is kind of strange, in a good way, but I have run across you and your family in different online RVing circles three times this week. In addition to this forum, your video "Home is where you park it" nearly brought me to tears (of joy) and I've seen you post on the fb fotr group too. Anyway, all that is to say that I appreciate you sharing what you have learned along the way because we are right behind you! We are also from Ohio, will be going on the road full time NEXT MONTH!!! with 3 of our four children (the oldest is in college), have decided to use FL as our domicile state, and are very much looking forward to spending much of our time on the road enjoying God's awesome creation in the USA. I hope our paths cross someday! Blessings - Tina
margielundy
Posted 2011-08-18 11:44 AM (#6909 - in reply to #6458)

Very cool! Definitely keep us updated when you hit the road!
raw
Posted 2012-05-22 1:31 PM (#7449 - in reply to #6458)

YAY! What a relief to learn this about FLORIDA! Thank you for sharing!
featherstory
Posted 2012-06-13 10:22 PM (#7494 - in reply to #6458)

Thank you so much. I'd been wanting to go the Florida route as well and this definitely solves that issue!
margielundy
Posted 2012-06-13 10:43 PM (#7496 - in reply to #6458)

By the way. We now have a new easier link (both work). http://www.floridaunschoolers.net
raw
Posted 2012-07-22 12:43 PM (#7566 - in reply to #7496)

In Mid August, we will be back in Florida and want to get our children into a homeschool group or public school in Sarasota. Anyone have idea about how to register an an alien and refusing vaccines?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Jump to forum :
Search this forum
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software
© 2002-2020 PD9 Software